Taught exclusively on Live Medical Education by Dr. Jorge E. Gaviria P. (Board Certified in Medical–Aesthetics and Gynecology Laser and Surgery Procedures by the American Board of Laser Surgery, ABLS), Laser Basics: Complete Course, consists of 3 lessons and covers all the basic theory, knowledge and essential skills on Lasers usage in Healthcare.
Lesson 1, Introduction to Lasers
Develop the necessary background to understand how laser light is created and how it interacts with the human tissue. As such, you will learn the basic terminology to understand the physics behind Lasers, the parameters and safety measures related to Lasers in the medical field and more speciffically:
- Laser physics. What is light? What is laser? How light interacts with tissue?
- Laser treatment parameters. How parameters are dependent on each other? Which parameters are essential?
- Laser safety. Which are the laser hazards? How to read specifications on protective goggles?
Lesson 2, Laser-Tissue Interactions
In this second lesson, you will learn about the different mechanisms of action of the energy delivered to the tissue, and how this energy is absorbed and transformed to create a chain of reactions to achieve the desired results, such as:
- The way Laser Energy interacts with the human tissue and the Laser – Tissue unteraction theories
- The penetration of light and the light effects on the tussue
- Principles of photomedicibne
- Photothermolisis of the Nd:YAG and Erbium YAG (Er:YAG)
- The mechanical effects of Q-switched llasers
Lesson 3, Energy Delivery Formats
Dr. Gaviria presents all the details about the Hardware and Software of the Laser Unit and explains what happens after the laser light is created and emitted from the laser cavity, how this energy is carried out to the human tissue, and how different spot sizes, collimated hand pieces, robotic scanners, or bare fibers are used for surgery.
What will you learn
After completing this course you will learn all you need to know about:
- The Electromagnetic spectrum and Wavelengths
- Laser elements, characteristics, advantages, frequencies, potency and energy
- Laser spot size, fluences, peak power, average power, pulse duration, irradiance
- Laser safety issues, laser hazards & nominal ocular hazard (NOHD)
- Laser distance, maximum permissible exposure (MPE), protective goggles
- The penetration of the light and the effects of light on tissue
- The principles of Photomedicine
- The 4 laser tissue interactions: Absorption, Transition, Scattering, and Reflection
- Photomodulation, Photothermolysis, Photoablation and Photomechanical effects
- Laser Classifications and uses of Laser in Medicine
- Laser Handpieces, Laser Fibers, Laser Scanners and Special Adaptations
- Laser Software and Graphical User Interface
What you will get
- 3 full videos with detailed presentations and narration by Dr. Gaviria
- 3 months unlimited access to all course content
- Send your questions and receive answers from Dr. Gaviria
- A Course Completion Certificate signed by Dr. Gaviria
General Surgeons, Plastic Surgeons, Dermatologiests, Gynecologists, Urologists, Ofthalmologists, Dentists, ENTs, Sexual Medicine Doctors, Laser Practitioners, Nurses.
Conflict of interest
Live Medical Education makes certain that all educational material provided follows all relevant ethical, legal, medico-legal requirements and are free of any commercial or any other form of bias from all involved parties. All educational material undergoes full review to follow Live Medical Education standards.
Further course information
System Requirements: You can enjoy all Live medical Education courses on your Desktop, Laptop or Mobile (Android, iPhone, iPad) Device. For more details please visit our Help & Support area.
Subtitles: This course is offered with English Subtitles.